1. Deer are generally most active during dusk and dawn hours, so be alert during your morning and evening commutes to and from work and home.
2. Deer usually travel in groups, so where there is one, there will likely be more. If you see a deer make sure to slow down, and keep an eye out for more since they will most likely be nearby. If one deer crosses the road in front of you, watch for others who may be following behind it.
3. Staying alert, contstantly scnning the road, and utilizing your high beams when there is no oncoming traffic can help you spot a deer that may be lurking near the side of the road. If you see any illuminated eyes or dark shadows, slow down and be prepared to stop. Be especially cautious when passing hedges, treelines or foliage.
4. One of the worst, and most dangerous, things you can do to avoid hitting a deer is swerve. It may be your natural reflex but chances are, you will end up hitting another vehicle, tree, or other object which can be a more serious collision than hitting the deer. The best thing you can do is to brake firmly, stay in your lane, and hold the steering wheel steady until you come to a controlled stop.
5. If you do get into an accident with a deer, make sure to turn on your emergency flashers and pull over to the side of the road so that other vehicles can see you. Stay in your vehicle, and never approach the deer.
6. Last but not least, remember that in your Chevrolet vehicle, you can press the OnStar button for assistance in any type of situation.
We want all of our friends and neighbors to stay safe this season as deer activity nears its peak with our deer season driving tips. If you want the peace of mind knowing your vehicle will protect you through any season, come see us to learn more about all of the extensive safety systems that General Motors has to offer. If you have unfortunately hit a deer, and need collision service, we can help fix the damage and get you back on the road in no time. You can ensure your car runs safe by taking care of routine maintenance. We would be happy to take care of all your auto service needs.
Hank Graff Chevy is located at 3636 Wilder Road, Bay City, MI 48706 and we are here to help our community grow to become an even better place to call home! For more information on Hank Graff Chevrolet, or for any questions call us at (989) 684-4411 or visit our website: www.GraffBayCity.com.
Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, & Instagram