BAY CITY, Mich. – Turkey day is here, which means you should enjoy your time with family and eat so much your belly expands. But before any of that gets underway, you can start your festivities with these quick fun facts about turkey day that are guaranteed to expand your perspective of this historical American holiday!
Fun Facts About Turkey Day
- The first Thanksgiving was in 1621 and it was a three-day festival.
- Thanksgiving wasn’t widely celebrated until 1863 when Abraham Lincoln made it a national holiday.
- There is a National Turkey Federation.
- There are four US cities name Turkey. They’re in Texas, Louisiana, Arizona, and North Carolina.
- Each year the President pardons a turkey.
- Ben Franklin wanted the national bird to be a turkey.
- 88% of Americans have turkey on Thanksgiving.
- A lot of the foods we eat now on Thanksgiving were not at the original Thanksgiving feast.
- Thanksgiving is the busiest travel time of the year. 56% of drivers will travel at least 100 miles.
- The busiest airports are in Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, NYC, and San Francisco.
- The annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade started in the 1920s. There were real animals in the parade and no balloons.
- Minnesota is the top turkey producing state in America. They’re raising about 40 million turkeys just this year.
- The Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys play on Thanksgiving Day every year.
- Forks were not yet invented; only spoons and knives were used.
- In 1941 Congress declared Thanksgiving to be on the 4th Thursday in November.
We’re wishing you a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day with your family. Get ready for the season with any auto service you may need before the cold comes. Come into Graff Bay City and we’ll take care of your snow tires or any other car parts that need to be updated.
Hank Graff Chevy is located at 3636 Wilder Road, Bay City, MI 48706 and we are here to help you find the perfect car, truck, or SUV for your new family! For more information on Hank Graff Chevrolet, or for any questions call us at (989) 684-4411 or visit our website: www.GraffBayCity.com.
Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram