BAY CITY, Mich. – Michigan winters are brutal; we all know it. But while winter is hard on us, it can be hard on your car, too. Keeping up with your auto maintenance is a no-brainer for some people, but it’s especially important in the winter. Being stranded on the side of the road when it’s 20 degrees out does not sound like a good time. Use these winter car tips to get ready for the cold and make the season a little easier on you and your vehicle.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. It’s the absolute best thing you can have in your vehicle in case something happens. Some things that should be in this kit include a flashlight, flares, engine oil, and jumper cables to name a few. Here’s a full list from the DMV: http://bit.ly/1hsqZgT.
- Check your belts and hoses. Your car’s belts and hoses should be checked when you get a tune-up, but it’s beneficial to check them again when the weather starts getting cold. Harsh temperatures can crack and weaken belts and hoses, and if something happens to them you’re not going anywhere.
- Replace windshield wipers. Wipers should be replaced every six months just to be safe. Without good wipers, you put other drivers and yourself in danger if you’re driving through a snowstorm.
- Fill your car with antifreeze. Antifreeze will keep your engine from freezing in cold weather. Antifreeze should always be mixed with water, usually at a 50/50 ratio. Fortunately, most places sell antifreeze already mixed properly with water so you don’t have to measure it out.
- Check your battery. Batteries normally last around three to five years. Winter months make your battery work much harder, so it’s important that you replace yours before it gets too cold.
- Invest in snow tires. We can’t stress this enough. Snow tires help with traction, braking, and driver control. Michigan roads don't usually close down for snow, so having these tires will greatly benefit you.
Use these winter car tips to get ready for the cold and you’ll stay safe and warm with your vehicle all season long. If you need any auto service before the snow hits, stop by our service center near Mt.Morris, MI. We’ll take care of your tires, brakes, and car parts.
Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram