Make Pumpkin Puree
Pumpkin puree can be used to make pumpkin pie, cakes, smoothies, and tons of other fall goodies! Plus, making your own pumpkin puree can save you the trouble of having to buy all of those extra cans of puree when you're preparing to make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Just make sure there is no mold growing in your Jack-o-Lantern before you start cooking!
How to Do It:
- Cut your pumpkin down the middle, removing the extra seeds and setting them aside (we'll use them later!)
- Next, place your pumpkin slices cut-side down on a cooking sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove your pumpkin pieces from the oven and peel off the pumpkin "skin".
- Place the leftover pumpkin chunks into a food processor or blender, then blend until thoroughly smooth. Voila! You've made pumpkin puree!
Use Your Pumpkin Puree to Make Pumpkin Butter
Want to put your pumpkin puree to good use right away? With just a few ingredients, you can make a delicious batch of pumpkin butter that packs a festive punch of flavor! You can spread it on toast, add it to ice cream, french toast, and much more!
How to Do It:
- Combine 29 oz. pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup apple juice, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves in a large saucepan, stirring well. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce its heat, stir occasionally and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to containers and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Cook Your Leftover Pumpkin Seeds
Remember those pumpkin seeds we set aside earlier? Well, now we're going to turn them into a delicious fall snack! You can cook this tasty treat with cinnamon, salt, butter, or even sugar to add a dash of flavor to this easy-to-make side dish.
How to Do It:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Throw your pumpkin seeds into a bowl with 2 teaspoons of melted butter and your 1 1/2 cups of cinnamon, salt, or sugar.
- Spread pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
Donate Leftover Pumpkins to a Farmer
If you aren't a fan of pumpkin-flavored foods, you can always donate your leftover Jack-o-Lanterns to your local farmers! Animals love the sweet taste of pumpkins and the cows, pigs, and other farm friends will be very thankful for the tasty treat.
How to Do It: Use MLive's Animal Farm Finder to discover local farms in Bay County that would be more than happy to take your leftover pumpkins off your hands!
Turn Your Pumpkin into a Flower Pot
Want to repurpose your Jack-o-Lantern into a festive fall decoration? With just a few quick steps, you can transform your carved pumpkin into a live flower planter! If you plan on displaying your planters outside, however, recommend that you turn them so that your Jack-o-Lantern's spooky face isn't greeting your guests as they enter your home.
How to Do It: After removing the lid of your pumpkin and cleaning out its insides, add a shovel full of dirt into its base. Slide your flower into the pumpkin and fill the remaining empty areas with dirt till it fills your Jack-o-Lantern to the top. Wipe it down and give your plant some water, and voila!
Now that you know what to do with your leftover pumpkins, you can breathe new life into your Jack-o-Lantern with by cooking recipes, making decorations, and charitable donations! Looking for more DIY projects and recipes? Make sure to follow our Pinterest page for all things autumn! Additionally, if you're searching for more fall fun, you can make the most of your time before winter with our Fall Seasonal Guide! Browse through our guide to find recommendations on local cider mills, apple orchards, fall recipes, and so much more. Before you head out to your next great fall adventure, though, make sure your vehicle is able to take on the changing temperatures with our Fall Car Care guide. You won't regret it once the snow starts to fall!
Hank Graff Chevy is located at 3636 Wilder Road, Bay City, MI 48706 and we are here to help our community grow to become an even better place to call home! For more information on Hank Graff Chevrolet, or for any questions call us at (989) 684-4411 or visit our website: www.GraffBayCity.com.
Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, & Instagram