BAY CITY, Mich. – May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. At Graff Bay City, we put safety first. With the warmer weather here in Michigan, one thing all drivers need to be aware of on the road is motorcyclists. Too many accidents happen with motorcycles and usually the cyclist is the one left with more damage and injury. To avoid these accidents, we have a few tips for the drivers and the motorcyclists. It’s not a one-sided job; everyone plays an important role in staying safe on the road.
Tips for Drivers:
- If you’re following behind a motorcycle, leave a good distance between you and the bike. In case you need to slam on your brakes or swerve, you’ll have enough reaction time to do so and not hit the motorcyclist.
- Always, always, always check your blind spots! This is the biggest mistake that drivers make. Since motorcyclists move much faster, and look much smaller in mirrors, it’s easy for you to miss them in your blind spots. Always double-check before switching lanes.
- Think about the road conditions. If you’re on a road with potholes, railroad tracks, or even construction, chances are the motorcyclists will have to slow down a lot more than someone driving in a car. On roads like this, we recommend following even further behind.
- Never share a lane with a motorcyclist. Even if you have a small car, it’s never safe to share a lane. In the case that you have to swerve or the motorcyclist needs to swerve, you may collide and that’s not good for wither of you. Give the motorcycle the space it needs to drive.
Tips for Motorcyclists:
- Wear the right gear to stay safe. This would be a helmet, closed toe shoes, pants, a motorcycle jacket, and gloves. Motorcycle gear can be a little heavier than you’d like it to be when riding, but it plays a key role in keeping you safe. In the case that you ever get into an accident, you’re less likely to get injured with the proper gear on.
- Check the weather! We know Mother Nature can be a little unpredictable in Michigan, but checking the weather before you leave can help you avoid a rainstorm and bad driving weather.
- Be aware of your surroundings and watch for road hazards. As a motorcyclist, you’re a lot harder to see than a normal sized car. Be aware of the other drivers around you. Also, make sure you watch for road hazards like potholes, train tracks, and construction.
- Always use turn signals and headlights. This is a must for
cars as well, but as a motorcyclist you want to make sure you’re as easy to
notice as possible. Using your lights will let other drivers know where you’re
going and help avoid any accidents.
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, but every month you should be following these tips to stay safe on the road. Keeping you safe on the road is very important to us at Graff Bay City. Another way to ensure your safety is making sure your vehicle get the spring car care it needs this season. Take a look at our website to learn about the maintenance your tires, alignment, and car fluids need. Feel free to schedule a service appointment with our trained technicians online.
Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, & Instagram